Moving is a stressful yet exciting mile mark for any family. The contracts has been signed and now, it’s time to prepare for moving day. You should, however, begin planning for it well in advance. Careful preparation is important, whether you’re moving across town or across the country. Here you will find some helpful tools to help make your move less stressful and better planned.
Allied Van Lines
This list contains most of the big tasks you’ll need to do (and some that
you won’t) and suggested timeframes. Depending on your situation, you
may need to add other things.
8 Weeks before
- Call moving companies for estimates.
- Remove and dispose of unnecessary possessions.
- Start compiling an inventory of your possessions.
- Get a floor plan (with room dimensions) of your new home to help you decide which furnishings you want to keep and which room they will go in.
- Start a file of moving-related papers and receipts.
- Locate schools, healthcare professionals and hospitals in your new location.
- Arrange to transfer your children’s school records and family medical records.
6 Weeks before
- Secure off-site storage, if needed.
- Choose a mover and sign contract.
- Contact your homeowner’s nsurance agent about coverage for moving and secure more, if necessary.
- Contact insurance companies (auto, homeowner’s, medical, and life) to arrange for coverage in your new home.
4 Weeks before
- Create a file of important papers, such as auto license, registration documents and title; any medical, dental and school records; birth certificates; wills, deeds, stock certificates, and other financial documents.
- Notify the following of your change of address:
- Post office
- Credit card companies
- Relatives and friends
- Insurance agent, lawyer, tax/financial advisor
- Magazine subscriptions
- Notify utility companies of date to discontinue/transfer service and/or establish service at your new home. Also arrange for final readings and bills, including refunds on prepaid services.
- Heating oil
- Internet service
- Natural gas
- Trash collection
- Notify your state’s department of motor vehicle of your new address.
- If moving from an apartment, arrange for refund of your security deposit.
- Discontinue additional home services (housekeeper, gardener/lawn service, snow removal, and pool cleaner),
3 Weeks before
- Make travel plans, if necessary.
- Make arrangements with condo or homeowner’s association to reserve elevator usage time if moving into or out of a high-rise building.
- Arrange to close existing bank accounts and open new accounts in new area.
- Arrange for child care on moving day.
2 Weeks before
- Arrange special transport for your pets and plants.
- Contact your moving company and review arrangements for your move.
1 Week before
- Pack moving-essential boxes—important documents, travel clothes, personal items and prescription medications.
2–3 Days before
- Confirm all final arrangements with your mover and other service providers.